The Vine

Monday, July 26, 2004

Ivieee's Fun Selector July-August

I am SO sorry I blew it. I didn't tell you about the Typsy Gypsy's Bellydance show at Natural Magic OR The Alice Rose accoustic show at Flipnotics on Sat. the 24th. I would have let you know, but I couldn't go myself. I know, "Its all about me." Both of them were a blast, from reports and forensic evidence that even I could interpret.

But now to make up for it, here is something that is all about YOU. You and fun.

A not-to-miss show on Friday July 30th. The Golden Apples bring it back home to the Carousel Lounge. This is their only show for the rest of the summer. What with having a baby and making a new record, what more can we ask of these legendary pop rockers. My most-often fielded question about this band: "Was that a ZZ Top cover, or did they just make that up?" (Some folks think that song is by T Rex.) Why don't you ask them yourself?

Yes it is rounding up to be a Surf Summer, with Three Balls of Fire offering three shows to land-lubber Austin audiences. Guys, I couldn't blame you if you moved to California where a good rhythm and blues surf band gets its due. Thursday the 29th they apply the wax at the Hole in the Wall, then a big show at Antones on Sat. the 31st, but what I can't wait for is...

Sun. Aug. 1st at Egos, where Three Balls has rounded up some of the best (though few) surf acts in town, starting at 9pm with the Nematoads. Go to their website and look at the pictures, there is LM's knee! I guess I would call them New Wave surf, meticulous, precise, and quirky. I've only met them once but I think I love them! Of course how could you leave when a really cute all-girl surf band, the Queen of Spades is up next, with 60's vintage surf classics and originals that do honor to the era. Then when you think you are ready for more, the Undertakers will deal the death blow with power-chord heavy surf. If anyone (not of or related to the Undertakers by blood or marriage) can tell me what WWJPD means, I'll pay your cover charge or buy you a Tsunami, your choice. When you wash up on shore, Three Balls of Fire will be there to warm your bones with down-home Austin style guitar surf. This is a rare opportunity to sample some very diverse local surf styles in Austin. For a landlocked town we do have some excellent salty treats.

Maybe you don't surf, but you hula? I will be demoing stunts and offering hoops for sale at a fundraiser at Natural Magic on Sat. Aug. 7th. Since the monthly Hula Hooping Meetups are on first Saturdays, this will be our default hoopers meetup, starting at 5pm. There will be plenty of free-for-play hoops for all. Free music, local vendors, bellydance and firespinning demos, raffle and beverages will be available by donation for the fundraiser, benefiting Pagan Pride Day. Fun for kids, too!

See y'all soon,
Ivieee

Keep It Up, Fool!
~o}0<

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home